Are you trying to grow houseplants indoors? You are not alone. There are many people who are attempting to do this as well but are not sure if it would work. If you have a lot of natural light entering your home then letting plants grow indoors will not be too hard but if you barely have enough natural light, how do you think will you manage?
The best option that you may have is to use artificial light. Remember that plants need different types of light in order to grow. You need the right type of light to ensure that your plants will grow naturally:
- Blue Lights – These lights will make sure that your plants will grow well. This is beneficial if you are trying to make your plants grow faster than usual.
- Red Lights – These lights are perfect for plants that flower or can give fruits since red lights can encourage that.
At this point you may be wondering what green lights are for. They are not used by plants that much. The green wavelengths are just reflected by the leaves of the plants. Ever wondered why most plants are green? This is because of green light wavelengths.
In order to grow houseplants effectively with the use of artificial lights, you need to choose the right lights for you such as the following:
- Flourescent Lights – This may be the usual type of lights that people would choose for grow lights because they are easy to use and can be used for a long period of time. It is best to purchase white fluorescent lights so that blue and red wavelengths will be present among other types of light wavelengths.
- Incandescent Lights – This may be the first type of grow light used but when compared to other grow lights, this may fall short. Not only do you have to replace it after using it for 1000 hours, they also heat up very easily so they have the tendency to burn your plants. Do remember that they are better suited for flowering plants as they can encourage the plants to bloom.
- LED Lights – A lot of people are saying that LED lights are amazing because you can change them up depending on your needs. You may choose blue or red lights depending on the plants. They can also reach more plants faster so this is ideal for a larger group of indoor plants.
Aside from the type of artificial lights that are available, here are tips that you have to remember:
- Place the lights properly. If you have purchased an item that are meant for growing lights, make sure that you will position the item so that all the plants will receive the same amount of light.
- Check if the lights are always cool enough for your plants.
- If your plants do not seem to be getting enough light from what the artificial light you have purchased, you may need to buy a new one.
Now that you already know the different types of artificial lights and some helpful tips on how you can grow plants, there is a bigger chance that your plants will grow better than before.