This got me thinking, there’s a pH tester for water already, why do we need to have a pH Soil Test Kit?
If you have taken Chemistry before, understanding pH is quite easy. pH stands for potential of Hydrogen which indicates the acidity levels from zero, the most acidic to pH 14, the most basic. Your soil up to your plant will react how damaging it will be depending on the pH level so you must always check your soil’s pH.
We will guide you to the basic process of how to use and which one is the best Soil Test Kit out there in the market to help you grow a healthier plant. Including everything that has ties with soil and the one that actually lives in it.
What is Soil?
It is a broken down element of rocks, minerals, decaying organic matter, and living organisms. It needs air and water in order for the living organisms to survive.
If a soil is rich in organic matter, it consists of around 40% silt, 40% sand, and 20% clay in order for it to be well0-balanced called “loam”.
How does Soil affect the growth of plants?
If the amount of ratio is incorrect, this will cause reactions to soil:
- A soil that has particles that’s fine as clay will have the risk of impaction that causes poor aeration and drainage if it is over 50% silt.
- If there’s over 50% sand in the soil, it causes severe rapid drainage, and poor moisture retention and structure. Soils fall apart easily because the large particles do not clump together.
- Soil can be waterlogged or impacted if it has over 30% clay in the soil which causes poor drainage and aeration easily.
So you need to balance all that in order to achieve the right soil for growing your plant. Cannabis needs light for it’s fuller and healthier growth.
In growing cannabis, your soil test kit pH has to be around 6 to 7.0. As mentioned earlier, your soil has to be balanced by adding organic matter or living organisms that will help with your plant growth.
If the soil pH reaches over 7.5, it’ll be ineffective because it blocks the necessary nutrients like zinc, manganese, iron, boron, and copper. And if it is lower than 5.5 pH, calcium, phosphoric acid, and magnesium will be locked out.
Best Soil Test Kit
Rapitest Premium Soil Test Kit 1663
A Soil testing kit for field or classroom use allows low-cost testing for soil pH, as well as Nitrogen, phosphorus, and Potash content. Packed in a sturdy plastic carrying case.
- Complete instructions and recommendations to amend soils based on test results.
- Contains liquid reagents and equipment for 80 total tests. 20 each for pH, N, P, K.
- Easy to use
- Accurate results
Luster Leaf 1605 Rapitest Digital Soil Test Kit
Electronic version of Luster Leaf’s popular 1601 Soil Test Kit. The rapitest Digital Soil Test Kit utilizes advanced LED digital technology and patent-pending optical calibration system to read test colors. The system is calibrated to read small color variations that can be difficult to distinguish with the human eye. The tester is easy to use. Once you have your soil test results, the tester booklet tells you how to adjust soil pH and provides recommendations for fertilizers. The booklet’s pH preference list allows you to select plants for your soil’s pH or know how much to adjust the soil pH for your current plants.
- Reads test colors utilizing advanced LED digital technology
- Just push test button to get results in a few seconds
- Includes pH preferences for over 450 plants and how to adjust soil pH
- Booklet has fertilizer guidelines based on nitrogen, phosphorus and potash test results.
- Performs 25 tests: 10 for pH and 5 each for Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potash
Soil Savvy Soil Test Kit
Testing soil made easier! Soil Savvy is a Ready-To-Use professional-grade soil test kit available to the general public that provides an Easy-To-Understand fertilizer recommendation tailored to your specific soil. Price includes soil analysis as well as a full report, comprised of soil pH and 14 nutrients including (N,P,K) of your soil.
- The same soil testing technology used by leading agricultural producers, turf managers and landscapers is now available to YOU the home gardener!
- The analysis provides a full report, comprised of soil pH and 14 nutrients including (N,P,K)
- A truly Sustainable approach to fertilizer management, Soil Savvy determines what nutrients are needed by your plants and eliminates over application of the nutrients they don’t need.
- Each Kit includes all the needed components and instructions for use.
Keep in mind that soil is alive and don’t let your roots rot. Mixing up soil and organic matter also depends on the weather so make sure you have the right mix.
Soil testing does not only helps you determine pH levels but will guide you which nutrient is needed. It also helps in determining what kind of soil, it does not only help you, it teaches and introduces you to different substances.
And we’re done for your guide in soil test kit! We hope that we had helped you decide which soil test kit to buy.
One more thing, If you check the soil pH, don’t forget to also check the pH of your water supply.